Monday, April 16, 2007

Silent death.


Ouch!
So much pain!
Where am I? Hey! What are all these people doing sitting there? Are they watching me? They really do look like they are watching me. And why the hell are there eyes filled with tears. I know you. But I find it hard to remember you, beautiful lady. Why are you crying? Hey! Why can’t I hear myself? Why can’t I move my arms? I feel so cold and numb. Someone please tell me what’s going on around me. Hey! Lady! Tell me. Why isn’t anybody helping? Everybody’s just looking so silently.

Thank goodness that young lady started to react. Maybe when she gets a little closer she’d tell me what was wrong. She is leaning forwards towards me. Kissing me? Hello! Help! She isn’t listening. She can’t even hear me. I don’t get it. I don’t remember any of you people. And what the hell am I doing in this wooden box. It looks so much like a casket. Wait a minute, it IS a casket. What am I doing inside it. There must be some mistake here. Hey! Anyone! Help me! I’m not dead. But if I’m not, then why can’t I move. Maybe I am dead. But what killed me? Last thing I remember is being so broken because... Because I can’t even remember! But I was alone, in a dark room. I see a wooden chair. But why was I standing on top of it? I don’t understand! My neck! I feel something tight around it. Oh no. it can’t be. But why? I actually hanged myself!

Help! Anyone! I’m NOT dead. See? I can talk and think and see you all. I see that old lady over there weeping so much like she lost a son. Oh my God! It can’t be. I can’t be her son! I don’t even remember her. I don’t remember anyone here. Who are you people? Someone please listen to me!

I must show them I am alive. I need someone to come closer maybe then I could whisper it to his ears. Oh thank God someone is coming. Hey, wait wait! Don’t cover the casket, don’t cover the casket! I am alive! Wait!

Darkness. Help! Help!

Silence.

Is this it? Is it over?

Is this death? Just silence and darkness?

Where are the angels or devils or anybody! Where is heaven? Is this it?

I see light once again! They are opening the casket! Yes! Yes! Who is this guy staring at me! Why are all the people now standing so close! They look very shocked! But no one is crying anymore. I don’t understand.

The guy staring at me is actually trying to say something. I can’t hear anything. They all seem to be arguing. Someone is running towards me. What’s that in his hands? A stethoscope! He’s a doctor! I knew it! I am not dead! He’s listening to my heart. What? What? I can’t hear what he’s trying to tell me! He’s now directing a small flash light into my eyes. Ouch! That hurt! Hey! Everyone is suddenly so shocked and looking straight at my face. That old lady is actually now kissing me. It’s my eyes! They are shedding tears! Must be the direct light into them! Thank God!

What? I still can’t hear thing! What is this doctor trying to tell me! He’s grabbing a large piece of paper and a marker. He’s writing something! I don’t get it!

“Mr. Andrews, I know you are alive. You and Mr. Jack were severely injured two days ago while fixing a light bulb in your summer cabin”

That explains the wooden chair! But who is Mr. Jack!?

Another note:

“The cabin roof fell over both of you, Mr. Jack passed away last night at the local hospital”

Who the hell is Mr. Jack!?

“Your bodies were switched by mistake; you are supposed to be in your bed at the hospital now”

How on earth would they switch someone’s body with mine!?

Oh my God! Jack! Oh no! Jack! My twin brother!

Mom? Susan? You are all here! I remember now! I remember all of you! David! Michelle, Sam! Hey everyone is here. I can’t believe this happened to me!

“I understand you can’t hear any of us or even move because you were injured severely on your head, but you will be better”

“We know you are alive!”

I am alive! I am alive!

7 comments:

(S)wine said...

this has an ambrose bierce kinda vibe.

m0tasim said...

you don't like it. right?

Rashenbo said...

You should come back to the blogosphere!!! :)

Nathalie said...

Hi there, I visited after seeing your link on Sophisticated Writers blog.

This post was actually quite disturbing and intriguing at the same time, I had to read it till the end. I really hope this is only a fictional situation…imagine it happening for real. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't think about it too much, it'll give me nightmares :)

Anonymous said...

Another brilliant story. I keep telling you you should have your own novel, dear hubby :) STOP being lazy and write!

J said...

Whew...I was all tense, thinking he was going to be put into the ground while still alive!

m0tasim said...

Thanks Rashenbo and you honey, i will try to write as much as i can!

Nathalie, it is really irritating! thx for reading it till the end.

J, I was gonna bury him alive, but then the good part inside me(as little as it is) found a way out.

thank you all.